You may have noticed that I missed out a Confidence Challenge for July. This is because I was either on holiday or busily occupied looking after my baby granddaughter. She was nearly five months old and very excited about her new power to move her body. With great effort over several weeks she would persist in trying to lift her upper body and arms. On the day of this photo she succeeded. In the photo, you can see the joy on her face when at last she succeeded. And, if you could have seen my face it was pretty joyous too!
During her journey to success, although she couldn’t talk, she made it quite clear what she wanted from Grannie. She looked up for encouragement, squealed for a cuddle when she was fed up with trying, and ‘made big eyes’ at me to get praise when she succeeded. Instinctively, she knew what she needed in terms of support and had no hesitation about asking for it.
Sadly, almost all the people I meet who lack confidence have lost contact with this natural instinct. So your Confidence Challenge this month is to set yourself a goal and do the same as my granddaughter! Summer is a great time for this as people are usually less stressed and more inclined to give support.
- choose a small goal that will challenge you but could be achieved within the next few weeks
- break it down into small steps and use these to monitor your success.
- choose one or more people that you could ask to support your efforts as well as praise your final success
- it is your job to ASK for support – don’t rely on others to know what you need e.g. “I ‘ve just managed to …….., so I am getting there aren’t I?”
- if someone doesn’t give you what you need, quickly find someone else who can and will. There is always someone who will be only too delighted to help.
Enjoy the rest of the Summer sun. Don’t forget you can add a comment below. I am delighted that some people have now started to do this. It has been very supportive and encouraging for me